Welcome to the Alectra Utilities customer newsletter, your source for timely and helpful electricity news that matters to you. Stay informed with short articles about Alectra Utilities services, new developments, support programs, Time-of-Use prices, conservation and safety tips, and much more.
A little more than a year ago, four innovative and progressive utilities came together to champion positive change for our customers and the communities we serve. As Alectra Utilities, we’ve been working hard to bring you more energy choices that feature sustainable solutions for the future. In our first year, we also established our Community Support Program to assist local charities and non-profits through sponsorships and donations. Throughout the year, it was an honour to be recognized for our industry-leading work, as well as our mutual aid efforts to help restore power in Georgia after Hurricane Irma. To read about these stories and much more, visit alectra.com/news.
The month of April is officially Dig Safe Month, right around the time when the ground begins to thaw. If you plan to install a fence, build a deck, put in a pool, or do any other work that requires digging, have a locate done to ensure you don’t come into contact with underground electrical cables. Stay safe – call before you dig. To request an underground cable locate call Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 or submit an e-ticket at ontarioonecall.ca.
Advantage Planet is a new program that makes it easy to be environmentally conscious and have online access to control your smart thermostat remotely. While it’s currently only available to former peaksaver PLUS® customers, it will soon be available to customers with other smart thermostats. Visit www.AdvantagePlanet.ca.
Over the next few months you’ll notice changes to the look of your monthly bill and you may find that your billing period is shorter or longer than normal by a few days. If you have any questions about your bill, please call our Customer Service experts – we are here to help!
Join the thousands of customers who are taking advantage of our ebilling service. When you sign up for ebilling, you will receive your paperless bill in your inbox instead of your mailbox. With ebilling you can:
- Access your secure online account whenever you want.
- Receive an email notification when your bill is available.
- View current and past billing information online.
- Download and save your bill electronically.
- Reduce paper and help the environment.
Visit alectrautilities.com/ebilling to sign up for ebilling today.
Upgrading your lighting to more efficient technology is a simple way to a better working environment, improved customer experience, and lower energy costs. Brighten up your business and your bottom line. Learn more at saveonenergy.ca.
At Alectra Utilities, we’re pleased to offer support programs and payment plans to help keep your account up-to-date. These programs include:
- Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) – OESP provides monthly credits directly on the bills of eligible low-income customers.
- Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) – LEAP offers one-time financial assistance to eligible low-income households.
- Ontario’s Affordability Fund – The Affordability Fund provides eligible customers access to energy saving upgrades.
To be connected with these support programs or determine a payment schedule that works for your family, contact Customer Service at 1-833-253-2872 for assistance.
This time of year, temperatures can fluctuate from cold to hot. On colder days, open curtains and shades to allow the sun to naturally warm your home; close them at night to keep warm air inside. On hot sunny days, close window coverings to keep the heat out and save energy on air conditioning. For more energy saving tips visit alectrautilities.com/save-energy-money.
- Electricity bills will be lowered by 25 per cent on average for residential consumers.
- Rate increases will be held to inflation for four years.
- As many as half a million small businesses and farms will also benefit from this reduction.
- Lower-income Ontarians and those living in eligible rural communities will receive even greater reductions, as much as a 40 to 50 per cent cut.
The benefit will vary for individual consumers depending on electricity usage and service territory. These measures include the eight per cent rebate introduced in January 2017 and build on previous initiatives to deliver broad-based relief on all electricity bills. To find out more, visit Ontario.ca/FairHydroPlan.
Delivering reliable electricity service to nearly one million customers involves:
- Planned and emergency equipment replacement of poles, cable and switchgear.
- Installing infrastructure for new subdivisions and transportation projects.
- Building new transformer stations and distribution lines to increase system capacity.
In 2017, a new transformer station in Vaughan was completed, a new municipal substation in Barrie and additional circuits in Markham were put into service to provide additional capacity. Aged rear overhead supply was replaced with standard front underground equipment in Markham to improve reliability. These are just a few examples of how Alectra Utilities is working to deliver the best value, service and reliability.