Arrears Certificates

Arrears Certificate Requests

Alectra Utilities will only accept mail-in requests from a law office for arrears certificates for water and/or electric services. Please note that Alectra can only provide responses to properties within our service territory, see the FAQs below for a list of our communities. 

An electric arrears certificate request must be received from the vendor lawyer, or if received from purchaser lawyer, must be accompanied by a consent form signed by the vendor

The arrears certificate request must include a cheque payable to Alectra Utilities Corporation in the amount of $16.95 (HST inclusive) for each unit. An arrears certificate will not be processed without the correct payment amount. 

Mail to: 

Alectra Utilities Corporation    
Payments Department – 2nd floor    
55 John Street North    
Hamilton, Ontario    
L8R 3M8 

Once the arrears certificate request is received, Alectra will respond within 10 business days. If it is of an urgent nature (e.g., needed before closing), please allow time for mailing and 10 business days for Alectra to respond upon receipt.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I submit a request for an unregistered easement?

A separate request is required for an unregistered easement. Payment mailed along with an arrears certificate request may lead to a delay.

Which communities are included within the Alectra Utilities service territory?

Alectra provides water services for the following cities: Hamilton, Vaughan, and Markham.

Alectra provides electric services for the following cities: 

  • Alliston 
  • Aurora 
  • Barrie 
  • Beeton 
  • Bradford West Gwillimbury 
  • Brampton 
  • Guelph 
  • Hamilton 
  • Markham 
  • Mississauga 
  • Penetanguishene 
  • Richmond Hill 
  • Rockwood 
  • St. Catharines 
  • Thornton 
  • Tottenham 
  • Vaughan
How do I find my local electricity distribution company?

For a list of service areas and electricity utilities operating in Ontario, please visit the IESO website.

Is your location?