We're Here to Help
Sometimes life can throw you a curveball. When unexpected events impact your finances, we understand you may need a little support.
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to pay your energy bill, but require some flexibility, please contact us as soon as possible.
- We can help you access support programs for low income customers or flexible payment programs for individuals or families who need help paying their electricity bills.
- Whether it’s for a short time or if you’re facing an ongoing challenge, we can figure out a solution together to help you avoid late payment charges and potential disconnection of service.
COVID-19 Scam Alert!
Criminals are calling and using the CEAP Program to enter your home.
- We are aware that some consumers are receiving calls telling them that a home inspection is required in order to receive the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP). This is not true. A home visit is not required to qualify for CEAP.
Residential COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)
New April 28th - The CEAP application portal remains open, and you may apply based on the eligibility rules below. Alectra will process applications in the order they are received.
CEAP provides an on-bill credit to eligible residential electricity customers to help them catch up on their energy bills and resume regular payments.
- Residential customers may be eligible for up to $750 in support towards their electricity bills.
- Customers who previously received CEAP support that was less than the maximum amount of $750 and have additional arrears may apply again, but their total on-bill credits cannot exceed that amount.
Small Business COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (CEAP-SB)
New April 28th - The CEAP-SB application portal remains open, and you may apply based on the eligibility rules below. Alectra will process applications in the order they are received.
CEAP-SB provides an on-bill credit to eligible small business and registered charity customers to help them catch up on their energy bills and resume regular payments.
- Small business and registered charity customers may be eligible for up to $1,500 in support towards their electricity bills.
- Customers who previously received CEAP-SB support that was less than the maximum amount of $1,500 and have additional arrears may apply again, but their total on-bill credits cannot exceed that amount.
- Effective February 15, 2021, businesses operating multiple locations may now be eligible to apply separately for each location. All locations registered under the same business number (BIN) that meet the revised eligibility criteria may receive a separate credit up to $1,500.
Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
If you are a customer in a lower-income home, you may qualify for a reduction on your electricity bill. The Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) will reduce the cost of your household electricity by applying a monthly credit directly to your bill.
The credit amount will depend on how many people live in your home and your combined household income. For example, a home with four people and an annual after-tax income of $37,000 may be eligible for a credit of $51.00 per month.
To apply you must be the account holder for the electricity bill AND live at the service address for the account. All household members who live at the service address six months or more of the year must be listed on the application.
To fill out your application, you will need:
- Your current Alectra bill
- SIN numbers for tax-filing household members
Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
Alectra continues to support its most vulnerable customers who are behind on their bills through the Low-income Energy Assistance Program (“LEAP”). Alectra has more that $1 million in funding for low-income customers who qualify through one of our local community support agencies.
Qualification is based on the number of people in a household and the combined household income. For example, a home with four people and an annual after-tax income of $37,000 would be eligible. Upon approval, a credit of up to $500 is added directly to their account to offset arrears. To determine their eligibility for LEAP, customers may contact:
• Alliston, Aurora, Barrie, Beeton, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Markham, Penetanguishene, Richmond Hill, Thornton, Vaughan (United Way Simcoe Muskoka): 855-487-5327
• Brampton (Region of Peel): 905-793-9200
• Guelph, Rockwood (County of Wellington): 800-663-0750
• Hamilton (Neighbour to Neighbour Centre): 905-574-1873
• Hamilton (Hamilton Housing Help): 905-526-8100
• Mississauga (Dixie Bloor Neighbourhood Centre): 905-629-1873
• St. Catharines (Community Care of St. Catharines & Thorold): 905-984-8955
Equal Payment Plan
With Alectra’s Equal Payment Plan your estimated annual charges are split into equal monthly payments, followed by an account reconciliation payment/credit in the 12th month. We conduct a periodic review to ensure that the monthly payment amount accurately reflects each participating customer's consumption patterns and charges. If there is a significant difference Alectra notifies customers if a change to their monthly payment amount is required. This can make budgeting easier for customers who experience higher bills at certain times of the year due to electric heating or air conditioning. Contact us to discuss signing up for an Equal Payment Plan.learn more
Alectra offers flexible payment arrangements and Arrears Management Programs (AMP) that allow eligible customers to pay their outstanding electricity bill arrears in instalments. Contact us to talk to one of our agents about payment plans.learn more
Energy Affordability Program
The Energy Affordability Program offers energy-saving upgrades to income-eligible electricity consumers, all at no cost. Qualified consumers can receive a free home energy needs assessment and/or a free energy-saving kit customized to meet participants’ energy needs. A more energy-efficient home means more comfort and more money in your wallet. To apply call 1-855-591-0877 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.Learn More