We're Here to Help
We understand that unexpected challenges may impact your ability to keep your Alectra bill up-to-date and we’re here to help.
If you find yourself in a situation where you need to pay your energy bill, but require some flexibility, please contact us as soon as possible.
- We can help you access support programs for low income customers or flexible payment programs for individuals or families who need help paying their electricity bills.
- Whether it’s for a short time or if you’re facing an ongoing challenge, we can figure out a solution together to help you avoid late payment charges and potential disconnection of service.
Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) has changed for 2022.
Eligible customers may now apply for and receive LEAP more than once per year. The maximum value of grant amounts has been increased to $1,000. Find more information on LEAP below.
Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
Alectra continues to support its most vulnerable customers who are behind on their bills through the Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP). Alectra has more than $1 million in funding for low-income customers who qualify through one of our local community support agencies.
Qualification is based on the number of people in a household and the combined household income.
Upon approval, a credit of up to $1,000 is added directly to your account to offset arrears ($1,200 for customers with electrically-heated homes). To discuss your eligibility for LEAP please contact:
- Alliston, Aurora, Barrie, Beeton, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Brampton, Caledon, Markham, Penetanguishene, Richmond Hill, Thornton, Vaughan (United Way Simcoe Muskoka): 855-487-5327
- Guelph, Rockwood (County of Wellington): 800-663-0750
- Hamilton (Neighbour to Neighbour Centre): 905-574-1334 ext. 207
- Hamilton (Hamilton Housing Help): 905-526-8100
- Mississauga (Dixie Bloor Neighbourhood Centre): 905-629-1873
- St. Catharines (Community Care of St. Catharines & Thorold): 905-984-8955
Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
If you are a customer in a lower-income home, you may qualify for a reduction on your electricity bill. The Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) will reduce the cost of your household electricity by applying a monthly credit directly to your bill.
The credit amount will depend on how many people live in your home and your combined household income. For example, a home with four people and an annual after-tax income of $37,000 may be eligible for a credit of $51.00 per month.
To apply you must be the account holder for the electricity bill AND live at the service address for the account. All household members who live at the service address six months or more of the year must be listed on the application.
To fill out your application, you will need:
- Your current Alectra bill
- SIN numbers for tax-filing household members
Equal Payment Plan
With Alectra’s Equal Payment Plan your estimated annual charges are split into equal monthly payments, followed by an account reconciliation payment/credit in the 12th month. We conduct a periodic review to ensure that the monthly payment amount accurately reflects each participating customer's consumption patterns and charges. If there is a significant difference Alectra notifies customers if a change to their monthly payment amount is required. This can make budgeting easier for customers who experience higher bills at certain times of the year due to electric heating or air conditioning. Contact us to discuss signing up for an Equal Payment Plan.
Alectra offers flexible payment arrangements and Arrears Management Programs (AMP) that allow eligible customers to pay their outstanding electricity bill arrears in instalments. Contact us to talk to one of our agents about payment plans.
Energy Affordability Program
The Energy Affordability Program offers energy-saving upgrades to income-eligible electricity consumers, all at no cost. Qualified consumers can receive a free home energy needs assessment and/or a free energy-saving kit customized to meet participants’ energy needs. A more energy-efficient home means more comfort and more money in your wallet. To apply call 1-855-591-0877 or email email@example.com.
Do you qualify for LEAP?
To receive this grant you must:
1. Be a residential customer of Alectra.
2. Have a total household income below a certain limit. Those limits are laid out in the table below.
|Total household after tax income and number of persons living in the home.|
|Less than $28,000||1 or more|
|$28,001 - $39,000||3 or more|
|$39,001 - $48,000||5 or more|
|$48,001 - $52,000||7 or more|
|Please note: Amounts shown are after tax. Income levels are set by the Ontario Energy Board, based on statistics from Statistics Canada.|