Beginning October 13, 2020, Residential and Small Business customers can submit a request to switch from Time-of-Use to Tiered Pricing for electricity usage after October 31, 2020. Use the Ontario Energy Board bill calculator to see what your total bill would look like with new, November 1, 2020, Time-of-Use and Tiered prices.
Choose the rate option that's right for you
The best rate plan for you will depend on your electricity consumption patterns. The difference is not likely to be more than a few dollars per month, but we do want to help you make the best choice possible. A few tips:
- If you have an electric vehicle which you charge at home overnight, Time-of-Use rates may be best for you, because you’ll be able to take advantage of the off-peak rate.
- If you live in a smaller home and don’t typically use a lot of electricity (less than 700 kilowatt-hours per month), choosing Tiered rates may lower your total bill, because you won’t consume enough to hit the threshold for the higher rate.
Tools to help you make an informed choice
Use the Ontario Energy Board bill calculator to see what your total bill would look like with new, November 1, 2020, Time-of-Use and Tiered prices.
- You’ll need your Alectra Utilities bill, or several months of bills. To use the calculator most effectively, you’ll want to know how much electricity you use and when you use it. You can find this information on the Electricity line of your bills or in My Account.
- Remember, your monthly use and usage pattern may be different in the winter season than it is in the summer season. Keep in mind the effect of COVID-19 on your electricity use (for instance, you may be working from home when you normally wouldn’t be).
- You can also use our My Account Meter Data comparison tools to see your past electricity usage patterns with historic Time-of-Use and Tiered prices. Not registered in My Account? All you need is your Alectra Utilities account number and your last payment amount to sign-up. Right away you'll have access to your meter data, past usage and the comparison tools.
Sign-up for My Account
All you need is your Alectra Utilities account number and your last payment amount to sign-up. Right away you'll be able to switch your Rate Option in the Price Comparison on the Meter Data tab.
Submit a Rate Option Selection form
online, by email, or by postal mail.
FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
Time-of-Use pricing reflects the cost of producing electricity at different times of day based on demand. It has three periods: on-peak, when energy demand and cost is high, mid-peak, when energy demand and cost is moderate, and off-peak, when energy demand and cost is low.
Time-of-Use pricing ultimately gives you more control over your electricity bill. By adjusting your usage habits, Time-of-Use pricing enables you to save money during hours when electricity is more expensive.
Tiered pricing is one price for usage based on a threshold amount and a higher price for usage over that threshold.
- The threshold for residential consumers changes twice a year on a seasonal basis; to 600 kilowatt-hours per month during the summer season (May 1 to October 31) and to 1,000 kilowatt-hours per month during the winter season (November 1 to April 30).
- The threshold for non-residential consumers is 750 kilowatt-hours per month.
Time-of-Use and Tiered prices are set by the Ontario Energy Board twice a year on May 1 and November 1.
No. If you choose to stay on Time-of-Use Pricing you don’t have to let us know, it’s our default pricing option.
- You can let us know any time. After you submit a request, we will make every effort to apply your selection to your next electricity statement. If the current month's bill is already in process it will be applied on the following bill.
- More than one Rate Option Selection cannot be processed in one monthly billing cycle
No, you’re not locked into a price plan. You can switch between Time-of-Use and Tiered pricing at any time however more than one Rate Option Selection cannot be processed in one monthly billing cycle.
No, if you have signed a contract with an energy retailer for your electricity supply, you have agreed to purchase electricity at a fixed price for a set period of time. When your contract ends and if you return to the Regulated Price Plan you will have the option to switch your rate.
If you are a new customer, your default rate plan will be Time-of-Use unless you select Tiered Pricing when you tell us you’re moving. Use our online form to let us know you’re moving and your Rate Option selection.